Thursday, May 21, 2009

The fright of my life.

Kevin gave me the scare of my life today. We have been running a lot of errands the last few days so I decided to treat us to an hour at the duck pond. Since it was later in the afternoon I decided to drive.

As we were feeding the ducks Kevin took a liking to this one white duck (aka an Aflac duck) he was splashing around in the water and grooming himself. Kevin got right up to the edge of the water because he liked getting splashed by the duck. Suddenly Kevin slipped and was laying face down in the water.

I ran to him as fast as I could and pulled him out. It turns out that the pond suddenly drops off about 3 feet. Fortunately Kevin held his breath so he never inhaled water. But we both got pretty soaking wet and I was terrified.

Thankfully a sweet mom named Tara (had never met her before) wasn't too far away and asked if we needed help. She was awesome at helping me catch my breath, and completely understood when I shed a few tears. She told me that her son also fell into the pond a few years ago, she was several months pregnant, and had to dive in after him too. That really helped me feel like I wasn't a bad mommy.

After all is said and done, Kevin is perfectly fine, he was up and running as soon as he was out of the water. He never got scared. As for me, well I won't forget this day for a long time, if ever. And I am thinking Kevin slipped because he was trying to "pet" the duck. So it will be a while before I am ready to take him back to the pond, or to let him get near the ducks.

Unfortunately my cell phone and camera were in my pockets. So there may have been two casualties. Steve is trying to dry them out, but we won't know for a few days if they will work again or not. But you know me, before I realized the camera was damaged I snapped a few pictures. My phone wasn't working so I gave it to Kevin to play with. Sorry for the blurriness around the edges, but that is what pond water will do to a camera. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that he is alright. How scary! I can just imagine you running to his rescue!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that all ended well...how scared you must have been.

    ReplyDelete